ABOUT SUTHERLAND ENGINEERS
Sutherland is a South African based multi-disciplinary consulting engineering practice.
Sutherland Engineers, founded in 1991, is a multi-disciplinary consulting engineering practice with offices in Cape Town, Johannesburg, Durban and Nairobi. Our services include Structural, Civil, Mechanical (HVAC, Wet Services, Fire, Vertical Transportation and Energy Modelling), Electrical, Electronic and Specialist Facade Engineering Services.
We are committed to thoroughly optimise all engineering aspects under our control. We pride ourselves in offering optimal engineering solutions, innovate and proactive planning, technologically cutting-edge design and personal hands-on attention to our clients and fellow professionals. Our passion and drive are summarised by our encompassing motto, ‘optimal engineering’.
With global awareness of sustainability, and project costs and operational optimisation, Sutherland Engineers has vested its expertise and software capabilities to positively impact sustainability across all project. In doing so, they are focused on keeping abreast of the latest products, materials, and methods available.
The company’s philosophy is based on these key principals.
- To provide superior engineering design to fully optimize the structural, civil, mechanical, electrical and façade engineering aspects of our projects, both upfront, during construction and also the operational lifecycle thereafter.
- To continually explore worldwide and adopt early, when beneficial, advances in building materials, building products, and building methods such as recyclable, renewable, modular, prefabricated, and precast to mention a few.
- To ensure that our design solutions are environmentally responsible, and our choice of materials is as sustainable as possible to reduce the environmental impact of the building industry on our planet.
- To apply our formidable experience gathered over nearly 30 years on a vast number and array of buildings, we strive to ensure that the construction methodology and practical buildability aspects are also considered and prioritized.
- To be innovative and proactive, also adding value in a broader sense throughout the conceptual, feasibility, design, planning, procurement, construction, and commissioning stages to ensure well-thought-through, carefully planned, and effectively managed projects.
- To remain technologically on the cutting edge.
- To offer our clients the very latest, most cost effective and accurate design solutions through integrated BIM 3D technology and collaborative teamwork across all ten engineering disciplines to ensure rigorous services coordination and optimal design solutions. To provide personal, hands-on attention to all our clients.
Memberships and Affiliations
The company and/or individuals hold membership of the following institutions:
- Consulting Engineers South Africa (CESA)
- South African Institute of Steel Construction (SAISC)
- Engineering Council of South Africa (ECSA)
- South African Institute of Civil Engineers (SAICE)
- Green Building Council of South Africa (GBCSA)
- Council on Tall Building and Urban Habitat (SA Founder Member) (CTBUH)
- South AFrican Property Owners Accociation (SAPOA)
- American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air-conditioning Engineers, Inc. (ASHRAE)
- South African Insitute of Electrical Engineers (SAIEE)